Write Your Destiny
Join Minds Matter, and join our next generation of graduates, 100% of whom have gotten into a four-year college with scholarships. With world-class partnerships with colleges and universities across Colorado, your success is virtually guaranteed!
Desire a college education
Are you a promising and ambitious 9th grade student?
- Take college-ready courses?
- Have a 3.25 GPA or higher (unweighted)?
- Qualify for the free/reduced lunch program?
- Hunger for a college education?
- Demonstrate strong motivation, maturity, and responsibility?
If so, please apply!
Attend 90% of the ~25 weekly sessions
If you are accepted, you are expected to:
- Make a three year commitment to Minds Matter
- Maintain a cumulative 3.25 GPA or higher (unweighted) while enrolled in Minds Matter (10th-12th grade)
- Attend 90% of the 25 weekly sessions throughout the school year – this means only two or fewer pre-notified (24 hours before session), excused absences per year
- Complete all assignments covered during session
- This may require 2-4 hours of additional work between sessions
- Makeup work will be required for any missed sessions
- Apply to and attend a summer program on a college campus after both 10th and 11th grade (anywhere from 1-8 weeks, typically 3-4 weeks)
- Apply to at least 10 colleges and 25 scholarships
Links to mentee applications
AND if all that wasn’t convincing enough, take a look at Dunya and Julia.
Dunya arrived to the United States from Ethiopia shortly before she began high school. Her family did all they could to help her attempt to catch up with her English-speaking peers before she enrolled in classes, but with learning a new language as a major barrier, she appeared to be shy and uneducated to the world around her when she was in fact anything but. Her teachers quickly found that obstacles were no match for her work ethic. She crushed it in math and science and only needed supplemental English classes for one year.
After her freshman year, she was selected by the Minds Matter program. There, she was paired with two dedicated mentors. One of them was Julia, an accountant at a large firm, who saw Dunya’s talent with numbers and encouraged her to follow a similar path. Over the next three years, Dunya and Julia developed a personal connection that extended through mentoring activities and Minds Matter events as well as friendly outings and family gatherings. Near the end of her three years in Minds Matter, Dunya was accepted to several colleges, offered scholarships, and chose to attend Colorado State University. She excelled in college just as she did in high school. During her junior year of college, Dunya was offered a prestigious internship.
To both of their surprise, this internship was at Julia’s firm. When Julia received the news, she raced down to the office with tears of pride and excitement in her eyes.
All their years of hard work had come to fruition. Thanks to her dedication, talent, and references, Dunya was ultimately hired at the firm. Julia and Dunya’s mentorship has lasted long past the three-year commitment required by Minds Matter, and it serves as an example of the life-long impact that our program can have in the lives of both the mentee and the mentor.