WHY: We believe Genius Has No Zip Code.
At Minds Matter, we’re on a mission to prove that it’s access, not ability, that limits college choice for many qualified students. So we connect bright students from low-income backgrounds with the relationships and resources often available only to their more privileged peers, including: committed volunteers who provide three years of mentorship, weekly college-prep instruction, and access to summer programs at top-tier institutions.
As a result, 100% of our students graduate from high school on time and earn access to four-year colleges and universities with scholarships.
- 100% of 10th and 11th graders attend a summer college prep program
- 100% of students graduate high school on time
- 100% of graduates are accepted to a four-year accredited college or university
- 100% of graduates receive scholarships
- 100% of our graduates are guaranteed admissions and efforts to meet 100% of financial need at the University of Colorado – Denver (an unprecedented partnership nationwide).
HOW: We’re in the midst of an ambitious plan to aggressively scale corner-to-corner Colorado, and we’re looking for passionate volunteers like you who are interested in a high-ROI return on aggressive social investment through Mentoring.
WHO: Volunteers at Minds Matter believe there’s no better place to make a difference. Nearly our entire team, from the mentors who invest three years building deep relationships with students to the staff who run our finances and programming, are volunteers who make long-term investments to ensure student success. As a result, we generate a $17 return on every dollar invested, help many of Denver’s top companies engage their most valued employees, and achieve unprecedented levels of student success.
Our volunteers also embody our values:
- We are Entrepreneurial
- It may not be our fault, but it’s our problem, and we’ll fix it.
- We get stuff done.
- We constantly seek opportunity.
- We are fearlessly bold.
- We value Growth and Achievement
- We are constantly getting feedback.
- We all get better and smarter every day.
- We give time, money, and energy to serve the mission.
- We value the Whole Person
- We care about equity and access.
- We care about culture and context.
- We care about kids and their community.
- We are All in for Minds Matter
- We can’t stop talking about what we do, because we love it.
- We prioritize Minds Matter with self, family and work.
- We prioritize cause over ego.
- We Have Fun
- We laugh. A lot!
- We enjoy each other.
- We savor the journey
Sessions for the 2018-19 school year are currently scheduled to take place on Monday evenings from 6:00-8:30pm throughout the school year at the following locations:
- West High School
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Early College
- George Washington High School
There are approximately 25-30 sessions each school year.
If you apply to be a Mentor, you are expected to:
- Make a 3-year commitment to the student (understanding that unexpected life changes can arise at any time)
- Attend 85% of the 25-30 sessions during each school year
- Communicate with mentees between weekly sessions (e.g. by phone, email, video chat)
- Attend other Minds Matter events, including:
- 4-hour Volunteer Training in August
- Minds Matter Picnic each August (where you’ll meet your mentees and co-mentor)
- Minds Matter Orientation on September 24, 2018
- Minds Matter Holiday Party each December
- Minds Matter Graduation Ceremony each May
APPLY TO BE A MENTOR
If you’re ready to sign up for a volunteering experience unlike any other, fill out the application HERE.
Once you have completed your application and background check, you’ll sign up for one of our info sessions on April 23 or May 7th (at session) or June 2nd or July (date tbd) (our Poppin’ Bottles with Role Models event at Snooze Ballpark). We’ll then follow up with qualified candidates for an interview and you must complete training on either August 25th, 26th, or 27th, 2018. If you’re accepted as a Mentor, we will pair you with your Mentees prior to our Orientation on September 24th, 2018!
For any questions, please email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!